Friday, August 14, 2009

A Tough Goodbye

Today was the last day of summer camp. The parents were invited to come and watch the kids sing songs, perform skits and have lunch with the campers. The kids put on a really cute show. There were still several hours left after they finished, so the Nature Girl and I headed home. We hung out at home until we got a call from my husband telling me he was done working for the day and was hoping for a ride home. Since I had heard that the counselors would be leaving the area at 8:00pm that day, I wanted to grab something for dinner for them. The Nature Girl and I grabbed Korean pizza, ran over to get my husband and then headed over to pick up the Artist. I was about 10 minutes late and I was feeling badly thinking that the counselors were stuck there having to watch my daughter when they needed to get packed up and on a bus in just a few hours. I was not prepared for the scene I walked into... Kids were trickling out of the building crying. One of them stopped to tell me that my daughter was in there crying and so was everyone else. The campers and counselors were having a tough time saying goodbye. The Artist was sobbing standing next to Miss Rainbow and she was crying, too. Kids everywhere had tissues. The counselors were signing shirts and arms and bracelets and passing out their email addresses. Everyone was lingering, unwilling to have the camp come to an end. Ms. Rainbow came up and thanked me for my help over the past 2 months and I almost started crying! When we were heading out to the car, the Artist said, " This is my first 'Last day of camp'. I have only had a first day of camp." She was so upset. Poor thing.
Thank you Mr. Monsoon and Ms Rainbow! You two have really touched our family's life and we wish you both the best. Thanks for letting the Nature Girl and I join you for swimming and field trips. We had a blast!


The Artist and Miss Rainbow


Mommy and the Nature Girl grabbing lunch


The Artist grabbing lunch


The Artist and Zay with Mr. Monsoon and Miss Rainbow


Camp Casey Camp Adventure


Campers with Miss Rainbow


Campers with Mr. Monsoon

No comments:

Post a Comment