Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dongdaemun

I went on a "field trip" with a bunch of ladies to one of the biggest markets in South Korea. The train ride there took about an hour and we never had to switch trains, so no confusion in getting there. The group I was with was going to buy fabric for some upcoming sewing classes. Since I shipped a bunch of fabric with my HHG, I didn't buy any. I was mostly going to look around and see what was there for future reference. Unfortunately, it was raining when we got there, so we only ventured into one mall. I met a sweet gal in the group named, Lady, from the Philippines. We wandered around with the other ladies and had lunch together. I really enjoyed the trip and I can't wait to go again with a friend and preferably... without children.


Commonly known as Dongdaemun is a prominent landmark in central Seoul, South Korea. The Korean name "Dongdaemun" means "Great East Gate," and it was so named because it was the major eastern gate in the circular wall surrounding ancient Seoul during the Joseon Dynasty, and is situated on the eastern end of Jongno ("Bell Street").


Dongdaemun Market is located near Dongdaemun of which it takes its name. It is the largest shopping center in South Korea. In total the market has 26 shopping malls situated over 10 blocks, 30,000 speciality shops, and 50,000 manufacturers. The market sells goods ranging from just about everything but notably silks, clothes, shoes and leather goods, sporting goods, plumbing and electronics, office supplies, toys and food areas specializing in Korean cuisine.


Walls of fabric everywhere


They sell it by the yard


A shop that makes Hanboks.


Hanbok is the traditional Korean dress. It is often characterized by vibrant colors and simple lines without pockets. Although the term literally means "Korean clothing", hanbok today often refers specifically to hanbok of Joseon Dynasty and is worn as semi-formal or formal wear during traditional festivals and celebrations.


A shop selling traditional Korean dress for children. They are just beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I remember Mom talking about going there all the time when we lived there. She bought all her fabric there since it was so cheap (is it still?). I also remember her buying a ton of Barbie clothes and Nike tennis shoes in several different sizes for me because they were about $5 a pair.

    ReplyDelete