Friday, May 1, 2009

My Thoughts on Texas

Now, I know everything is relative... it just depends on what you are comparing something to. I have been living in AZ for almost 4 years (yikes). I am from the Northeast. AZ is dry, brown, DEAD. There is not much to look at 9-10 months out of the year. The other 2-3 months of the year, it actually "rains" once in awhile... if you want to call it that. They get a whopping 14 inches of rain a year with most of it falling in July and August... they actually have the nerve to call it monsoon season! Texas gets about 32 inches a year and I believe most of it falls in April-May. As I got closer to Fort Hood, it was beautiful! There was grass that God watered, beautiful wildflowers along the roadsides, rivers worth building a bridge over... in a word... LIFE! I actually felt like I was coming home. I was so excited to get into Texas and see that I had not missed the bluebonnets entirely. I even found a whole field of them between Oakalla and Burnette. I stopped with the girls several times to take pictures. I was thrilled to see Life! I never really fit in AZ. I couldn't get past the fact that the place is so dry and brown. I had to beg anything green to grow... unless it was a cactus... a plant that I don't particularly like. A plant that can bite back is really not a nice plant.
Now, in reference to things being relative, I will be heading to PA and NY in the next few weeks... the town where my dad lives in PA gets about 44 inches of rain a year and the town where my mom lives gets about 42 inches of rain per year. So, when I leave this green land and head North, I will most likely find Texas to be a bit scraggly compared to PA and NY. But, it is all relative. For now, I am feeling "at home" in Texas.


3 comments:

  1. LOL at the plant that "bites back"! :) I'm so glad you got to see Bluebonnets! I hope there will be a few left when I get there in a few days. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all that beautiful green and flowers. Not to mention those two beautiful girls. I have spent most of my life in AZ but boy I would love to move to a greener climate. Granted thats just about anywhere. hehehe We do get some pretty sunsets though. We already miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey women, Happy Mother's Day! would have sent a card but I know where you be :) Hope you are havin fun!

    ReplyDelete